Manufactured in 1932 by the Western Machinery Company, Los Angeles, California.
The Type B "Lay Shaft" Western engines were experimental. Only three of these engines were ever made, two of which suffered from broken crankshafts, making this the only survivor.
The engines were built on the 160 HP frames. They used a side shaft design instead of the normal long rocker arm exhaust and eccentric operated intake valves. This allowed for better valve timing and valve opening and closing control. The Western 200 was known as a "precision timed engine."
This engine was used to power an ammonia compressor and a 3-phase alternator for Ontario Ice and Cold Storage in Ontario, California.
Below is the manufacturer's test card for this engine.