Fairbanks- Morse 33D16
Manufactured in 1926 by the Fairbanks- Morse Engine Company, Beloit, Wisconsin.
Fairbanks-Morse company records show that this 33D16 engine was ordered on May 13, 1926, by the Santa Catalina Island Company. The engine was used on the island to generate electrical power for a number of years.
In the early 1960s, Southern California Edison commenced providing the island with electric service. At that time the company had the engine moved to its newly constructed Pebbly Beach Powerhouse, where it provided power until it was decommissioned in the mid-1970s.
The engine remained there until it was removed in June 2010 by Southern California Edison (SCE) in order to provide additional space for an upcoming building remodeling project. SCE barged it to the mainland, where plans were to scrap it at Long Beach Salvage Company. Fortunately, SCE decided to donate the engine to AGSEM instead.