Manufactured in 1937 by the Western Machinery Company, Los Angeles, California.
The Enterprise DSW-6 is one of three generators that was used for primary and (later) standby power at Palomar Observatory from 1938 to 1996. Time on the generator after 58 years at Palomar was only 4800 hours.
Donated to the Museum in 1996, this engine was one of only two model W engines ever built with an enclosed valve gear. Almost all model W engines were built for use on marine applications and carried a DMW-4 or -6 designation. All the DMW engines had exposed valve gears.
Only a handful of DSW engines was ever made. Our engine was the second and last built with a special enclosed valve gear. We believe the other DSW-6 built with an enclosed valve gear was S/N 6109, with the original owner designated in the listing as Dunn Baker. We do not believe that engine exists any longer.
It appears that our engine may well be the only existing example of the DSW-6 version. It was started at the Museum in 2001 after resting here for five years.
For further information, see the Wikipedia history of the Enterprise Engine and Machinery Company.